Spaghetti Lasagna

I've got two issues with making lasagna:

  1. I don't want to / won't use no-boil pasta (you can argue with me, but I won't). 
  2. Cooking lasagna is kind of a pain in the butt, to make sure that after it's precooked it doesn't stick, isn't overdone, doesn't get torn, and so on. It's not the hardest thing to control, it's just a pain. 

So last week I created Spaghetti Lasagna. I cooked a package of spaghetti and used it interchangeably in a lasagna recipe by Jamie Oliver, from his book Jamie's Dinners: The Essential Family Cookbook. Frankly I don't recommend this book. His idea of a simple family meal is the same as mine (and for that matter Thomas Keller's) - it's a multi-step, multi-ingredient  process that requires a moderate amount of time. No quick cooking here. A better all around book is Jamie at Home.

Nonetheless, Jamie's got a nice meat sauce recipe for his lasagna (start by sauteeing pancetta and a pinch of cinnamon - nice). He adds roasted butternut squash to the mix, which I preferred eating plain, rather than part of the the lasagna. But overall, it was a delicious dish.

A layer or two into the lasagna process

The roasted butternut squash was better plain than in the lasagna.
It was (roasted with ground coriander, salt, pepper and olive oil. 

The finished product

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails