Made this last weekend for the KHS JV swim team - about 50 hungry swimmers. We made a little over triple this recipe.
For two 9x13 pans
1.5 packages Barilla Lasagna
-- Cook pasta, drain and toss with olive oil so it won’t stick.
2 large onions, diced
4 large clove garlic, roughly chopped
1 medium carrot, skin peeled, then peel carrot into strips w/peeler
2 cans imported San Marzano tomatoes (28oz) – in Italian food section
3 sprigs fresh thyme
--Cook onion, garlic and carrot in 4 tablespoons olive oil
--Add tomatoes, thyme and season with kosher salt. Bring to a boil. Simmer 30 minutes
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
½ a large onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 large sprigs fresh oregano, (1 tablespoon dried)
3 sprigs fresh thyme (2 teaspoons dried)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
--Separately brown the ground meats and drain almost all the fat
--Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened.
--Finely chop the herbs and add to meat onions. Add meat back to pan to warm.
--Season with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
8 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup grated parmesan, high quality imported parm, please.
1. Oil the bottom and sides of two 9x13 pans.
2. Spoon a very thin layer of sauce on the bottom of each pan.
3. Create one layer of lasagna pasta across pan, add a 1 cup mozzarella, 3 tablespoons parmesan, 1 cup of the meat mixture and top with 1-1/2 cups sauce. Repeat twice. Top with additional mozzarella and parmesan.
4. Drizzle a stream of olive oil randomly over top of lasagna and season with kosher salt fresh ground pepper.
5. Bake uncovered in 375 degree oven for 45 minutes. Allow to rest 15-20 minutes after removing it from oven.