Amy (age 7): What kind of mammal can you eat? Chocolate Moose.
She made that one up and cracks herself up over it.
Chocolate Mousse with Raspberries
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
2 ounces sweet or semi-sweet chocolate
1 stick butter
3 eggs separated
1/4 cup dark rum or amaretto
1/4 cup sugar
1 pint heavy cream
1/2 pint of raspberries
- Simmer a saucepan of water; place a metal bowl over top of pan. Add chocolate until it melts.
- Add butter 1-2 tablespoons at a time, until incorporated into chocolate.
- Remove bowl and stir in egg yolks one at a time. Add rum or amaretto. Chill bowl while performing next step.
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks. Add sugar to incorporate.
- Gently fold whites into chocolate mixture, starting with a small amount of the whites.
- Spoon mousse into ramekins.
- Whip cream to stiff peaks. Top ramekins with whipped cream and raspberries.