- I've made almost EVERY recipe at least once before
- The entire menu is REALLY close to last years menu
- We only had one guest - my father in law Pete
- Even the kids (and Pete) helped - including food preparation
Here's the menu:
- Focaccia with Parmesan and fresh herbs, Mario Batali's Molto Italiano
- Bacon and Roasted Corn Gougeres, Gourmet November 2007
- Kids Veggie Tray
- Four Crostinis - Mushroom and sage; leek and mint; Red pepper, onion and thyme; kale and pancetta (see next post for how the kale was re-used!!). Also from Mario Batali's Molto Italiano
- Fresh Crusty Bread, see this post.
- Roasted Turkey with neck gravy from roasted turkey stock
- Scalloped Root Vegetables, Gourmet November 2006
- Mashed Potato and Root Vegetables
- Green Beans with garlic
- Roasted Garlic Brussels Sprouts with Wild Mushrooms, Gourmet November 2006
- Sausage Stuffing, Gourmet November 2007
- Sausage, Leek and Fennel Stuffing with Roasted Mushrooms, my own recipe
- Pumpkin Pie, Family recipe
- Whiskey Apple Crumble Pie, New York Times 11/14/07
The turkey stock was made in advance, and is an important new step in Thanksgiving preparations. The idea is that a day or two before thanksgiving, you roast turkey wings and thighs and make a stock. From the roasted parts, and incredible stock is created, which can be used for gravy, stuffing and other dishes that require stock (like the scalloped root veggies above).
As with the advent of brining turkeys which took root in the 1990's, I think that the roasted turkey stock should become a standard step for any serious cook for a Thanksgiving meal.