|Fusilli with Cauliflower, Corn and Capers |
alongside Hill Country Sausage and Pickled Okra
Time for spring / summer pasta dishes. Roast vegetables are a sweet touch - balanced by the tartness of a few capers.
- Three ears fresh corn, cut from cob. Saute in oil until browned. Remove.
- A whole head of cauliflower cut into 1/8" to 1/4" slices. Cook in same large skillet as corn, don't wipe out between uses. Add olive oil and brown until cauliflower is soft.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons capers. continue to cook.
- Chop 2-3 tablespoons garlic, add a few dashes of hot pepper flakes and a tablespoon of fennel seed, gently crushed. Add corn.
- Meanwhile, cook 1 pound of pasta and drain.
- Add vegetable mixture to pasta. Top with toasted bread crumbs.
This dish was inspired by a Judy Rogers as published in The Zuni Cafe Cookbook, which has become a recent favorite source for recipes that involved a minimum of ingredients and maximum taste and variety. Beware, though, the recipes are highly dependent on high quality ingredients and mastery of moderate to advanced technique.