Here's a simple dish inspired by Judy Rodgers of the Zuni Cafe (in S.F.). Toasted breadcrumbs along with fried eggs seems like an obscure combination - until you've tried it. Then it will seem to be an obvious combination, and one you'll return to often. The gentle crunchiness of small breadcrumbs with fried eggs is surprising. I've also used crumbles of leftover grilled polenta in this dish.
Eggs with Toasted Breadcrumbs and Herbs
- Coarsely grind a few slices of rustic bread. Alternately, use Japanese panko breadcrumbs. Reserve a few tablespoons of crumbs.
- Add a few leaves of fresh herbs (thyme is great).
- Heat about 2 tablespoons olive oil in a non-stick or stainless skillet. Add the bread crumbs.
- Right after the crumbs begin to brown, break 2, 3 or 4 eggs into the skillet, sunny-side up style.
- If you care to flip the eggs, sprinkle a the reserved crumbs over them first.
- Top with an herb sprig, or a thin slice of crispy pancetta or bacon.