More dominant though, is my frustration as to what to do with tilapia. Margie likes fish a lot, and so do the kids. The ubiquitous tilapia seems to frequently be on sale. Yet I approach it with disdain, as I don't have any favorite recipes for it. Of course any fish cooked in butter with salt and pepper is a pretty good experience.
This recipe looks a little involved, but really is just a series of steps pouring ingredients into bowls, then blending.
Update: After making this - my review of the dish: it's "just OK". Hardly worth the complications that I prescribed. Here's the promised picture. The pasta with rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, peanut oil, topped with scallion and cilantro - was better than the fish.
Five Spice Paste
1/3 cup thinly sliced lemongrass
4 medium garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
Zest and juice of 1 large lime
2 tablespoons ginger (or galangal, if avaialble)
-- Roughly chop garlic and ginger. Puree in a blender until well combined.
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2/3 cup water
6 medium garlic cloves
2 small red chilies (or 1 tablespoon jalapeno or serranno pepper, chopped)
-- Blend water, garlic and chilies to form a loose paste. Add remaining ingredients.
Tilapia in Spicy Lime Sauce
1.5 to 2 pound tilapia or other thin white fish fillets
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup five spice paste
Cilantro and julienned cucumbers for garnish
- Combine oyster, soy and fish sauces, sugar and paste.
- Add this marinade to the fish, covering all over. Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
- Prior to cooking, gently wipe marinade away from fillets.
- Heat a tablespoon or more of olive oil in a large fry pan, cook fillets about 1.5 to 2 minutes per side. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add another tablespoon of oil, along with remaining spice paste and the lime sauce. Bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Lower heat to simmer and gently place fish atop sauce. Spoon sauce over fish fillets for about 1 minute.
Accompany fish with cilantro and cucumber strips.