Last week I zipped up a batch of Creamy Chicken and Kale Soft Tacos for a casual dinner. That dish has become a favorite for my high school daughter and her friends. Spicy, creamy, out of the ordinary. They ask for it all the time.
But I worry that they don't get enough vegetables, even though there's a good amount of kale in that dish. So I threw together this slaw. You can vary the prorporations in any manner, but I think a couple things that made this good were:
- Lots of cilantro, chopped coarsly, not finely
- A light touch with the red onion
- A nice kick from jalapeno
- No sugar
- The use of lime juice instead of a vinegar
Zesty Slaw with Cilantro and Jalapeno
Serves 8 easily
1/4 of a red cabbage, coarsely chopped (not shredded in the usual manner)
1/2 of a green cabbage, coarsely chopped
1 small jalapeno, cored, seeded and sliced very thinly
1/2 of a small red onion, sliced very thinly
1 cup of cilantro leaves, coarsley chopped
Zest of one lime
3 tablespoons lime juice
3 tablespoons peanut oil or canola oil
- Toss the chopped vegetables and cilantro to mix.
- Combine zest, juice, oil, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Whisk or stir to emulsify, then pour over slaw. Allow one hour or more for flavors to develop before serving.