Root Vegetables with Orange
2 potatoes, russet or gold
1 large turnip or 2 small
1 large onion
2 medium parsnips
1 large sweet potato
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 orange, zested
- Peel and cut carrots, potato, turnip and sweet potato into 1/2 cubes.
- Peel and cut the onion and parsnip into 1/4" cubes.
- Combine the vegetables in a pot of salted water to cover. Bring to a boil then simmer 15 minutes.
- Drain the vegetables and mash them. I use a dough cutter or dough blender, because it both mashes and cuts the vegetables, creating a texture which I prefer to head-on mashing from a blunt instrument.
- If the mash looks a little dry, squeeze some orange juice into it, and add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and season with Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
Can be made ahead and reheated easily.