Root Vegetables with Orange

This recipe is adapted from Mario Batali's Molto Italiano, one of the few cookbooks I rely on regularly. I made it some time ago, maybe around Thanksgiving, and never entered it into this journal - which is a shame, as it's delicious. I happened to be thumbing through the Molto book looking for an idea for Lamb Shanks, when I ran across this recipe and realized I should capture it.

Root Vegetables with Orange
Serves 8

2 carrots
2 potatoes, russet or gold
1 large turnip or 2 small
1 large onion
2 medium parsnips
1 large sweet potato
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 orange, zested
Chives

  1. Peel and cut carrots, potato, turnip and sweet potato into 1/2 cubes.  
  2. Peel and cut the onion and parsnip into 1/4" cubes. 
  3. Combine the vegetables in a pot of salted water to cover. Bring to a boil then simmer 15 minutes. 
  4. Drain the vegetables and mash them. I use a dough cutter or dough blender, because it both mashes and cuts the vegetables, creating a texture which I prefer to head-on mashing from a blunt instrument. 
  5. If the mash looks a little dry, squeeze some orange juice into it, and add a drizzle of olive oil. 
  6. Stir in the remaining ingredients and season with Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. 

Can be made ahead and reheated easily.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails