Here's my New Years Day 2008 variation: Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo
2 pounds pork and venison sausage, in 1/4" slices
-- alternately, use andouille or other specialy cured soft sausage combination
1/2 lb tasso, cubed
2 cups onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
1 1/2 cups bell pepper, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 pound fresh okra, trimmed and sliced
1 cup crushed tomato
6 cups stock - (from shrimp shells, celery, onion, peppercorn, bay leaf; or other stock).
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon cayenne
3 tablespoons Worchestershire
2 pounds shrimp
1 lemon, sliced thin
- Saute sausage in small amount of olive oil, in a dutch oven, until most of the slices are browned. Expect a frond to develop on bottom of pan. Remove sausage. Brown tasso and remove. Tasso substitue: pork shoulder.
- Add vegetables except okra. Saute 5 minutes. Add okra and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add stock, spices and reserved meats. Bring to boil. Reduce to simmer.
- Add shrimp and lemon. Simmer 10-15 min.
- If needed, mix 1.5 tablespoons cornstarch with water, add to gumbo to thicken. Remove lemons. Adjust.